Monday, November 8, 2010

Meet the Future!

Yesterday, I wrote of my memorabilia collection.  One of the reasons I collect things my posters and lobby cards is that they remind me of my childhood or films that I wish I had been able to see on the big screen.  I've read several articles lately regarding the recent film Toy Story 3, in which grown men have left the cinema with tears streaming down their cheeks, as it reminds them too much of their own childhood.  The best article regarding this was written by a hard-boiled critic - who openly admitted to bawling like a baby during the film.

Oh, our memories are wonderful things to have.  Our family, whenever we get together, loves to listen to Dad tell stories about his brothers, high school friends, and father.  They were the ornriest batch of people the Good Lord ever created.  (My sister's kids come a close second.)  But the best part of this is not the listening to the tales, but the look on Dad's face as he remembers his friends and family.  He enjoys it more than anyone.

Yet while we love our pasts, we need to remember that the future holds great promise for us.  There are a good amount of people stating, "Ahem!  I'm (censored!) years of age, so what do you mean by that?  There isn't much I can do, y'know." 

Max Apple wrote of his grandfather, Rocky, who'd raised him.  When Max's wife became terminally ill, Rocky took over the household to assist his grandson.  Rocky was only 103 years of age.  He considered himself  'too busy to die' and wouldn't until he knew Max didn't need him any more.  Rocky helped Max prepare for his future, and taught him a great deal.

The future is out there, and it's waiting for us.  Be a Rocky and help others prepare for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment