Sunday, March 6, 2011

I'm Confused

I worked in retail for seventeen years, and with each hiring, I was told, "You pull a no-call, no-show, we will assume you've quit." 
That always made sense to me, and the two times I've done that, it's been due to a mix-up on my schedule.  Thankfully, my bosses had a feeling something was awry, especially when the following day, I showed up for work . . . on my day off.  Each time, they laughed, then sent me home, telling me they hoped I enjoyed the extra day off.  In short, they knew I wasn't the type person to pull that stunt.

The politicians of today, I have to admit, are a different matter.  You see, I was the person who followed the rules.  These are the people who set the rules.  While at two differing jobs, I pulled a no-call, no show one time, these people have done it over the space of two weeks.  Were that me or you, we'd be fired.  I guess being an elected official has its advantages.  Remind me next election to run for an office.  I don't care what it is!  I want to see what it's like to be paid to not show up.

Some time ago, one of our state legislators was asked - on television - "Why did you run?"  His answer?  "I couldn't find a job."  Now, at first thought, that's disgusting.  At closer examination, you have to admire his honesty.  He didn't give any bushwah about wanting to serve his constituents, or thinking he was better than the person who was in office.  No, he wanted the pay.  I don't blame him, but those who voted for him.

If we want to avoid the fiascoes that are going on in the states that have runaway legislators who are shouting "You aren't playing my way, so I'm running to Mommy!," then we need to start researching now.  I know . . . the nest elections aren't until November of next year.  But we plan trips longer than we research candidates, and the impact they leave on us is longer than the memories of the trips.

Start researching those whom you think are potential candidates.  Otherwise, be quiet about not liking those in office.  Your ballot is a God-given right that many have fought and died for.  Use it or lose it, but know who you're casting it for.

No comments:

Post a Comment