Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Joe Louis Knew The Key

This has been a somewhat bleah week.  Not the worst for my family, but well . . . we've had better.  I sit here with a somewhat bum foot, wanting to cry out like Job, asking what is next.  Then I remember the words of Joe Louis.

You remember Joe Louis. Even if you're not a sports fan, you know who he is.  (If you don't, shame on you.)  He was one of the greatest boxers to step into the ring.  During World War Two, he gave a speech in which he stated, "We'll win because we're on God's side."

Louis was chastised by his manager, who pointed out he was to have said, "God is on our side," but the fighter stated he said what he meant.  The next day the papers lauded him for his words, and Louis pointed this out.  It has since gone down as one of his finest moments.

I know our family will persevere for the simple reason that yes, we are on God's side.  Trust me . . . if we weren't, we have the family and friends who would kindly pull and nudge us back, letting us know.

Right now, what we've experienced are setbacks.  I go online to Google News and read about what's happening to others around the world.  You know, compared to them, it's not that bad.  I still have my family, my friends, and my health.  (Okay, so the ankle hurts.  Whoop de doo.)

In the meantime, we persevere and remember Louis' words.  The setbacks are minor compared to what has happened to others, and we are like the little engine who could.  We continue on throughout life, chugging along.
                                                                                                 


No comments:

Post a Comment