Monday, January 16, 2012

It Pays to Listen

I know the holiday season is over, but I've been thinking the past few weeks about one of my favorite  stories.  It came to mind on Christmas Day, as I was talking to my niece Mikaela.  I reminded her of the Christmas when no one chose to believe her.

It was about a decade ago, and Mom wanted to give me a pair of black slacks.  Everyone said they were nice, but Mikaela, who was the baby of the family then, spoke up, saying, "Grandma, they're green."

Well, we naturally chuckled at her.  After all, she was a child.  What did she know?  "No Mikaela, they're black."  We were adults.  We knew what was right.

Very politely, Mikaela informed us they were green.  Again, we told her they were black.  Silly child!

She tried again to tell us they were green.  One more we told her she was wrong.  Finally, without saying a word, she plucked them from my hands, walked over to the window, and held them to the light.

Son of a gun.  They were green.

When I reminded Mikaela of this last month, she was flabbergasted, saying, "How rude!"  I pointed out to her that we were the rude ones, blowing her off due to her age, while she constantly was polite, finally proving her point without saying a word.  I told her it was not only beautiful the way she did it, it's my favorite 'Mikaela story,' even though I was one of those proven wrong.

It goes to show that we should never doubt children, as they generally have something to say. Mikaela certainly did that day.  And had we listened to her the first time and paid closer attention, none of us would have had to apologize to her. 

As for me, I made out like a bandit.  Mom so wanted to give me a pair of black slacks, the following day--one of the worst shopping days of the year--she went out and bought me a pair.  So Mikaela continued to assist me.

Now if she'd just go back to making my snickerdoodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment