Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Well, Did You?

Remember the song "Did You Ever See A Dream Walking?"  If not, look it up on You Tube.  It's a nice song, and truth be told, just the title brings back wonderful memories of music from when we could understand the lyrics and the tunes didn't blast us out of our seats.

But I got to wondering:  Just how many of us, if we had seen a dream walking, would actually recognize it?  I remember my first semester of college in the fall of 1982 when I was exiting the Liberal Arts Building.  A woman was coming up the steps who - - - no joke here - - - took my breath away.  I let out a gasp that embarrassed me as she gave me a smile I haven't forgotten in twenty-eight years.  I went to the side of the building, let out a breath, and continued on.  I never saw her again, but at the same time, not a period of three weeks goes by that I don't remember that moment or the woman.

At the same time, I know she wasn't a dream.  No, she was flesh and blood, just like you and me.  But there are times when I've seen dreams while I've been on my feet, and I'm not talking about a beautfiul individual. 

Have you ever seen a Hawaiian sunset?  The ones here in Oklahoma are breathtaking, but in Hawaii, they are beyond description.  Photographs - and it doesn't matter how good your digital camera is - don't do them justice.  We talk about Van Gogh, but forget God is the master artist.  Ever paid close attention to a child taking their first steps?  It doesn't even have to be your own, just to watch them is a joy.  It's even more fun to watch the look on the parents' faces.  They've worked so hard with their child on this, they don't care they'll now have to safeguard everything within a hundred mile radius.  Listen to a piece of music that no one else seems to notice.  You'll be surprised how much pleasure it brings you.  It doesn't have to be a classical piece, or even a song.  It can be a theme from a show, or a child's tune.  You'll be surprised at the tunes that bring you pleasure.

Those are but a few of the dreams walking out there.  Take the time to enjoy them.

                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment