Friday, December 3, 2010

It's Just Life

I've had people ask what I do for hobbies.  To be honest, I try not to tell them, as I know exactly the response I'm going to get.  It's not that I'm secretive, but they won't believe me.  So first off, I inform them of that - they aren't going to buy it.  They think this is great, and it piques their curiosity.  Finally, I have to tell them so they'll leave me alone.  By the time I'm done, I have to explain what the majority of my hobbies means (Memorabilia and soundtracks make perfectly good sense to me, as do lobby cards.)  Afterwards, those people ask, "But what do you do?"

I've noticed that from then on, those people have a tendency to avoid me, as either they think I have the plague or I'm the most eccentric person they're going to encounter in their lives.  I have a pretty good idea as to which it is, if you want to know.

You know, though?  I don't mind.  I am so glad we're not all alike.  Heck, if everyone had the exact same likes as me, can you imagine how much my movie memorabilia would be costing?  No, thank you!  Same with the books I'm managing to pick up for a penny.  And if everyone wrote like me, well, Jimmy Butts wouldn't be writing his wonderful westerns.  A disaster!  I would hate it if all the world was like me:  The world would be out of Mountain Dew!

Variety is wonderful.  You see different people doing various things, some of them you admit wondering 'why,' but it's great to see the variety, nonetheless.  People from all walks merging together, doing things, and that, my friends, is life.

So when you notice someone's a tad eccentric, or strange, nah.  They're merely part of life.
                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment