Thursday, September 19, 2013

The True Value Of Seven Cents

As you may (or may not) know, I work as a cashier.  Last night, I was ringing up a woman who came in with her two sons and the oldest one, who was about five years old asked if he could buy some Tic Tacs, getting permission.  He was going to pay for them himself, and when she was done, he put the candy on the belt, along with his money.
 
All seven cents of it.
 
Of course, his mother told him she would pay for it, and as she was doing so, he tried putting the seven pennies in her hand.  She told him he didn't need to do so, and I lowly said, "Ma'am, he's paying his way."  She looked at me for a second, then got it and pocketed the pennies.
 
I couldn't help it.  I told others and one man stated, "I hope she keeps those pennies in a special place and tells him that story later on."  He had a good point, but I don't know if the mother truly got the gist of what that young man was doing.  He was doing what too many of us fail to do.  There are a good amount of people out in the world today who refuses to even try to pay one's way.

And this five year old was saying, "Please let me do so."
 
I would say his parents have done a good job with that young man, and I hope he never changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment