Saturday, October 16, 2010

What We Learn From Our Parents


One of my favorites of Mom and Dad.  They've
been married for 51 years  . . . . so far.
When I was a child, I was the recipient of many a lecture and spanking from my father.  For those of you who know me, it isn't going to come as a shock for me to say that I deserved each and every one of them.  As a matter of fact, I got off the hook for more than a few.
I was a smart-aleck kid.  During one lecture, Dad said, "You're not listening," and I (stupidly) replied, "Why should I?  This is the third time you've said this."  As always when he gets upset, his nose turned white, and he then said what he was saying for the fourth time.

But you know?  Although I was a wiseacre, stupid kid, I remember a lot of what my parents taught me.  I joke that I should, seeing how at forty-six I still live in the same house as them.  But seriously, they don't tell me that I am to have a belief one particular way as they believe people have the freedom to choose.  But in watching them, I see two people that I admire above all others, and you know what? Everytime I see them, I remember what they have taught me:

1)  Love and respect God.  You may not think He's there, but He is when no one will be.
2)  The importance of one's family.  Always be there for them.
3)  This isn't a perfect country we live in, but it's the best one out there, so love and respect it, along with 
those who have served it.  When the National Anthem is being played, stand up straight and pay attention.  Keep your mouth shut unless you're singing.
4)  There is no such person as one who is handicapped.  Only those who allow themselves to be handicapped.
5)  Always, always, always, always do your best.  Otherwise, why should your boss keep you on?  And if you are the boss, then you need to be setting a good example for your employees.  Earn your pay, and then some.
6)  Watch your language.  You never know who's listening.
7)  If you get knocked down, pick yourself up.  Never give in. 
8)  It doesn't hurt and doesn't cost anything to be a friend.  Try it, you'll like it.
9)  Being 'part of the crowd' can be costly.  Don't do things just because 'everyone else is doing it.'
10)  Aluminum bats are for sissies.
11)  You don't always have to be 'right' in an argument.  Sometimes, when one makes a point, they are wrong in the way they go about it.
12)  Always be respectful to women.  If not, you'll pay for it when you get home.
13)  The customer is always right.  (I learned this when working for Dad.  I was told that if I ever forgot it, I was fired.  And he had one or two customers that . . . . Well, let's just say I spent a lot of time grinding my teeth.  But they prepared me for 17 years of retail.)
14)  Respect one's elders.  They have a lot to teach you.

This is merely the tip of the iceberg, but you get the picture.  I could go on and on, but I'm not writing Doctor Zhivago.  My sister could add more, and far more eloquently.  I think my parents are literally the perfect couple, and interestingly, my sister and brother-in-law are a lot like them. 

Your know, if their kids, who are now in their twenties, follow the rules that we were given and have had passed down to them, this next generation is going to be all right after all.

              
                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment