Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Importance of Family


Mom, Dad, Me and Sis at the Folks' 50th  (No, I don't smile for photos.)
If you look up the definition of family, this is what you're going to get:  


1.a. A fundamental social group in society typically consisting of one or two parents and their children.
b. Two or more people who share goals and values, have long-term commitments to one another, and reside usually in the same dwelling place.
2. All the members of a household under one roof.
3. A group of persons sharing common ancestry. See Usage Note at collective noun.
4. Lineage, especially distinguished lineage.
5. A locally independent organized crime unit, as of the Cosa Nostra.
6. a. A group of like things; a class.
b. A group of individuals derived from a common stock: the family of human beings.

Now, Number Five really makes me want to laugh.  Who would think that my family would be compared to the Godfather?  (Then again, whenever we got into trouble . . . . it was like approachin Don Vito.)  But if you want to know which one defines our family, then go to 1.b. for these reasons:

My parents don't need to have conversations.  They just always know what the other's thinking.  (I do a great imitation of this.)

I really don't need to ask anyone in the family for a favor, I just ask for help, and we work out a mutual time.

The worst argument I have with my parents is over vegetables.  (If God wanted me to eat that junk, he wouldn't have given me such sharp teeth to eat meat.  And I don't want to deprive the bunny rabbits.) 

The worst argument I have with my sister is over coconut.  (She's wrong, as she hasn't tried it in over forty years, and is missing out on such a blessing.) 
I can safely say my brother-in-law's worst failing -- which he has passed along to his sons -- is that he doesn't like cats.  I pray for the four of them daily regarding this.  And Cricket has forgiven them this shortcoming.

Everyone in our family definitely knows each other's weaknesses.  (Boy, do we!)  But we don't come up to each other and say, "Hey, I hear you blew another job," or "Well, I see you did it again."  There are times we'd like to, but we don't.  While that's being human - - - which of course we are, that isn't being good family.  Instead, we'll come up to each other and if they want to bring up their misfortune, we'll let them and we'll talk about it, always ending on a positive note.  If my family has a theme song, it is definitely "Accentuate the Positive."

My family is . . . well, they're dorky.  I've gotten more subdued as I've gotten older, and whenever we have a family get-together, I sometimes ask myself if I'm really related to these people.  (I can't find my adoption papers, so I had to have been switched at birth.)  Then, when the chips are down, there they are for me, so yeah, this is indeed my family.

Thank God.

1 comment: